Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Race for the Cure

Mom's teacher-friends organized a team for the Breast Cancer fund-raising Race for the Cure, in downtown Indy. Despite the cooler weather, it was a fun event and Mom felt really loved and supported.

On her bib-#, it said, "I AM the Cure", which probably referred to people taking proactive steps to self-examine, do med checks, etc, as helping cure breast cancer. But it made me think of God's self-revealed name, "I AM". Exodus 3:13,14 "Moses said to God, 'Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you," and they ask me, "What is his name?" Then what shall I tell them?'

God said to Moses, 'I AM who I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' . . . This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.'" Exodus 3:11-17

So rightly written: I AM the Cure.

Interestingly and hugely significant, Jesus speaks this name again in direct connection with his mysterious identity, saying, "Before Abraham was, I AM." (John 8:58)

My Hebrew-Greek Study Bible has a footnote reading, "The expression 'I AM' is the translation of the Hebrew word Yhwh, vocalized 'Yahweh' and translated 'LORD' (see Exodus 6:3). It is the personal name by which God revealed Himself, and occurs more than 6,000 times in the Old Testament [the Jewish Bible]. Yah, an abbrevieated form of Yhwh, is contained in the word hallelujah, which means 'Praise the Lord!' . . . Jesus alluded to this name of God in John 8:58 . . . The Jews recognized that Jesus was appliying the name of God to Himself, and they considered it to be blasphemy and attempted to stone Him."

That would be the right thing to do for a devout, law-abiding Jew, if a man claimed the same Name or identity as God . . . unless it was true. Jesus has a unique identity: Son of Man and Son of God. An angel was sent with the message that his name would mean Immanuel, or God with us. Yhwh. I AM.

So I believe I AM is the cure. Yes, LORD, you are the Great Cure, for the sins of the world, for every sickness known to man, and for every predicament we ever get in. Halleluiah!

And another halleluiah for creating us with curious minds to study and to develop treatments and to have compassion to want to heal, too, like our Creator. So thank God for doctors and researchers and nurses and everyone in between who extends gifts of healing and care.
Record finish! :) Nice job, Mom! Even with your numb toes. Wow.

Who is that lady, pretty-in-pink, surrounded by lovely and loving friends?

Heritage Baseball Game, Opening Pitch

Mom received a special honor of throwing the opening pitch for Heritage Christian's (where she has taught for 21 years) varsity baseball 'Coaches against cancer' awareness game. The guys wore light pink helmets (spray painted by a kind dad), bright pink socks, and Mom threw a flourescent pink ball. It was a fun afternoon with a delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment