Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mom's Wig, Ericka's Support & Dad's Steady Hand


This weekend was time to 'get-a-wig-quick'. Mom's hair was falling out more and more, leaving patches of scalp visible and moving Mom & Dad into action. The nice lady's store wasn't available until Tuesday, so Dad & Mom drove to Greenwood and tried more wigs.

They came home with this one, which looks like Mom's previous style, already curled at the ends for weddings & fun events. The only major differences are the strawberry blonde highlights and bangs, and it's not as soft as her real hair. But, my Mom's a glamour-girl in any style.

Saturday night was difficult.  Mom sat on a stool in the kitchen and Dad cut her hair.*  Tears, joking, and laughter filled in the eerie snip, snniiippp of the scissors & watching another lock fall. My stomach was tight with nervousness. I can't imagine what she felt like. She is very brave. We're not posting pictures of the finished buzz-cut, but you can try to imagine Mom with 1 cm of hair. I was struck by how beautiful she is.

Sunday morning was hard. Going to church with a wig on. What would people think or say? What if the wind blew it off? I decided to go with a new look, too, to deflect some attention on me, so Mom wouldn't be alone.

Tying a scarf on my head, I waltzed with Mom into their Sunday School class. These dear friends embraced Mom with so much love. It was amazing. Everyone has been so supportive. And Mom is learning how to style her new doo.

We may post pictures of a secret, special wig. Think Spirit-day at a sporting event. We'll see when Mom pulls it out.

This week is the 2nd chemo treatment, on Thursday, Feb 2, all day. Thank you for your prayers to lessen side effects & bring the Lord's powerful healing to her body.

We've also been  working hard on some organizing projects around the house. One success story is a necklace hanging system that Dad & I created & Mom loves.

Blessings to each of you and your families in Jesus' beautiful Name.

~Ericka

* Lawrence's Post ScriptSmall bald spots on Rachel's scalp, growing with each brush stroke, demanded drastic offensive measures. Of the hundred of haircuts that I've given our three sons, none compared to this one.  A sadness flooded over me as I watched Rachel's gorgeous locks fall to the floor.  Silent tears betrayed her laughter, as she endured the inevitable.  I  love my princess bride.  I  hurt with her.
At the same time, I realize that I have been (and will continue to be) blessed by the Lord's gift of her life into mine.  It is really not about her hair at all.  It is about her life; and her lifetime commitment to me as one.   It is about the millions of great family memories created over our 40+ years,  It is about her love, her compassion, her kindness, her respect, her companionship, her help, her laugh, her smile, her humor, her adventurous spirit, her athleticism and her gentle spirit............(and so much more).............. that draws me to her, chases away the hurt and sadness and makes my heart sing!  

Thank you, Lord SO much for continuing to heal my princess bride.

















Posted by Picasa

1 comment: