Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wig Shopping, Take-2; & Thankful Hearts






So we went wig shopping twice this week, and this second time was the charm.

Our first night, we entered a big store with rows of shoulder-up, hair-styled mannequins, and it was a little creepy. Wizard of Oz and the woman who kept switching heads wouldn't leave my mind.

The sales lady was really friendly, but told us if we weren't buying tonight, we could only try on three wigs.
Hmm. Hundreds to choose from; which three?

The problem with wigs is the hair looks stunning on the mouse-head, barbie-gorgeous mannequin.
Then you try it on, get hit with disappointment, and think, "Hmm. Somehow, it doesn't look the same on me."

Wig 1 was platinum blonde bob-cut. Memories of high school flooded back, but didn't match Mom's current look. Wig 2 was dubbed the "lionness" because of the red-gold tresses streaming from the scalp-cap. Wig 3 was a stylish ash-blonde short cut that we liked the best. Mom sneaked on two more wig-tries, one being a long-curly headed scare that I don't think her kindergartener's would take to very well. We got in trouble for going past our three limit, so that cut the trip short. We left not too excited about wigs. I realized how much I really like Mom's hair. It is soft, beautiful golden brown, with gorgeous silver streaks. Just right.

Yesterday, Mom started losing hair. It came out when she brushed. Not nasty chunks, but definitely more strands than normal. This morning, more came out. She said with a worried look, "This is happening a lot sooner than I thought."

After Mom left for school, I called Terri, a dear friend who is also a hair stylist. She had offered to help Mom with the hair-loss, by doing a big chop when Mom was ready. She had an opening at 5:30 this evening. She also recommended a wig place just down the street. They had a 4:30 available.

This time, the atmosphere was much more welcoming, and we had our own private room like a celebrity. The wig lady was very kind and helped mom try on more than three. The favorite of the evening was a shorter, straight, ash-blonde cut, with a few bangs.

We left for the hair cutting appointment with a lot more joy than the first wig-shopping night. Mom's friend, Terri, welcomed us at her cute boutique, and carefully cut the ten inches of Mom's hair, so it could be donated to Locks of Love. Then she styled the bob-cut, and surprisingly, it looked very similar to the wig we liked best. So now, Mom's students, and all of us, can get used to this shorter, new style, so the wig won't be such a drastic, fake change-over.

Terri gave us an amazing blessing that night and we left in awe of all the beautiful details of the day. Rather than being sad for the loss of hair, our drive home was filled with laughter and joy. A special treat awaited us, as Mom's dear teacher-friend brought over dinner, and we shared a mini-thanksgiving girl-party while Dad was at Scouts. It's truly been a glorious day.

***

Ericka's reflections on thankfulness:

My attitude changed dramatically today. Yesterday, I felt discouraged. Not for anything in particular, just kind of down. Then my previous house-mate from IHOP-kc (international house of prayer) called and we chatted for a while.

She asked me what I felt like the Lord was revealing about Mom's healing and progress. I thought and said, "Well, we're learning to praise Him."

"That's it!" she said. "That's what I'm learning about right now. I'm reading this book, Prison to Praise, and the author shares a story how God challenged and taught him how to praise and thank through every situation. It changed his heart and God was able to work with more ease. There are powerful testimonies of healing through praise and thanksgiving."

After our conversation, I found the book which, interestingly, I had just organized earlier that week and put on my top shelf to read. I opened it to the middle and read a story about God talking to this guy and saying, "Just like you praise and thank me that my Son was crucified and died for you, I want you, and will teach you how to praise and thank me through every situation you face in life. In everything."

I put the book down and thought, "Alright, I have to do this." I raised my hands and began proclaiming (quietly) of the Lord's goodness and beauty and kindness and faithfulness. As I did, my heart literally changed. It went from blah to expectant. From alright to filled with joy. And I like joy. It feels so nice. It is such a good change from ugh-discouragement. I went to bed last night thankful for the transformation, and woke this morning, beginning with thanksgiving. Today has been a glorious difference in my attitude and outlook.

Thank you, Father, for a great day; a fun time wig shopping, family bonding, and dear friends.
Thank you, Jesus, for going through the worst suffering, and keeping your eyes fixed on the prize.
I love you.

~posted by Ericka

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful photo of you two! I loved reading about the wig shopping! Hillarious, it must be so much fun when the two of you are together:) I love you Ericka and I am so happy that inspite the trial you are facing in this season, you are experiencing God's joy thru perseverance. I'm proud of you Ericka.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete